Friday, July 17, 2020

Happiness & Me!





Sometimes when I type the word happiness I wonder if the spelling has two P's or one... Well don't blame me.. Isn't this the world of auto-corrects ! So, well coming to the topic... Happiness and me... I guess we are like those two naughty kids who love to play hide and seek with each other ! Not only that, we also love to hide behind the door and scare the other from the back with a loud noise at times followed by the evil laughter! We may not be the best of friends but we definitely are not foes till now....touch wood! 

So, what really is happiness... And again we are back to that million dollar question. While we read ways and means to achieve it or let me say reach near to that coveted and much sought after feeling.... What is it really? Now let me think, when all.. As in, in which all moments I might have caught up with my happiness in hiding.... 

Was it when I used to top in some subject or some class? - Not really, that felt like more of a sense of relief... But OK why waste the adjectives and make them cry ! So, let's call what it is usually termed as (although not sure if the meaning of that is proper either)  achievement not really happiness. No wonder when I look back I don't remember the dates or the exact times when any of that happened! OK, so did happiness visit me when I bagged any of the degrees or jobs.... As I remember the timing of those! But no, they are all termed under achievement, ambition, success and the likes isn't it! 

OK so let's move to the non-materialistic world... Maybe happiness resides there! So, did happiness visit me when I got married... was blessed with our Son etc... Wait, but all that comes under the fold of another word called love and it's different forms! 

Then which event can we club only under that elusive word 'happiness' or is it really elusive?! Or is it really as easy as waking up in the morning and telling yourself "Today, is a happy day and I will be positive and happy"...doesnt really work that way does it?! OK I know there are techniques these days (yes, shortcuts to success... That way shortcuts to happiness!) ....no I am not ridiculing.. I do understand the positive effects of yoga and meditation etc on our mind and body. But I am just wondering if that's the means to happiness or peace?! 

Fine, so I thought we anyway are confused souls and although we have all these words in our dictionary with our own meanings attached to it.....let me ask my five year old. What does he think what happiness is? Also, as kids are such pure souls maybe their meanings of these words are purer too! And this is what my Son had to say when I asked him... How do you get to know when you are happy?! 

Muma, it's very simple. Whenever there are no wrinkles on the forehead or whenever there is no frown on the face or whenever my nostrils are not flaring....I am happy and I can clap as I know it! 

So, well then, that's what happiness is.... As simple as that... Whenever you aren't busy with all the other emotions or let's say any of the negative emotions... At all other times you are happy. You just don't know it and are not clapping! :)


PS : A post in response to the prompt 'Happiness'. Sorry Dipika and Ruchi I couldn't sign up for the blog hop as I wasn't sure I can keep up to the commitment. But nevertheless, nothing goes in spreading the joy that you guys started with :)

17 comments:

Saibal Barman said...

Wonderful presentation of thoughts...love two kids....
And, the end...the concluding remark of the kid....the simplest truth of life..
Much to learn from those innocent souls...
Enjoyed thoroughly
Best regards

Sonia Dogra said...

Happiness is a state of mind. It's easier for children because they don't experience a flurry of emotions that grown ups do because of our life experiences. It's hard to be a child again. But on a personal front I am a big proponent of both yoga and meditation. Yes happiness does play hide and seek with us but so do all other emotions. For me the key has been to treat both happiness and sorrow equitably. They are emotions and they too shall pass. Nothing is permanent. For me this realisation is the source of happiness. Nice thoughts.

Ira Mishra said...

Thanks so much Sir... Indeed, there is so much to learn how to live life from these tiny beings :)

Ira Mishra said...

Very rightly said Sonia... I wish it wasn't as hard to be that child or have those child like thoughts again... But yes, as you said all emotions have their own phases and pass after a while! Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts :)

Rahul Bhatia said...

The true state of happiness is best-reflected on the smiles of the children

Ira Mishra said...

Very rightly said sir 😊

Saibal Barman said...

On rereading I thought to refer one earlier post of mine....may read if you like
https://saibarman.blogspot.com/2020/05/tolerance-in-life.html?m=1

Shrinidhi Hande said...

Which city is this?
Netherlands?

Durga Prasad Dash said...

I think that is the ultimate in happiness. You are happy but you do not know that you are happy.

Chinmayee Gayatree Sahu said...

Well written! Happiness is a term that holds different meaning for different people. Children are the epitome of innocense . They do not complicate things and that is why they experience pure emotions. It becomes different as we grow up!

Ira Mishra said...

Yes Netherlands :)

Ira Mishra said...

Very rightly said Sir :)

Ira Mishra said...

Very well said Chinmayee... The more we complicate things the more we feel happiness is complicated :)

Namratha said...

This post got me thinking about when we are actually happy. I am happy when I am in the moment doing something interesting and I catch myself being in the moment. Like the other day, the phone was away and I am chatting with my 3 year old and realised how he could actually have a conversation with him now! I felt good I was in the moment. Maybe I felt happy when I found out I was pregnant or my kids were born. All that seems to be a moment and then it was gone. So, yeah, think I like your kid's explanation better.

Ira Mishra said...

Yeah that's precisely the trick to realise you are happy... To get to know that moment... Which somehow the kids master in doing so I guess :)

Rethink Mindful said...

Wow Ira!! I will keep this pointer in my mind whenever I will ask myself what is happiness for me. This is such a pure thought!! Lots of love for dear chutku and you.. Hugs 🤗

Tomichan Matheikal said...

Happiness is an informed choice. Sometimes we may not be clapping, but we're happy. The opposite may be true too.